(9-06)
Isaac Lightner Farm
In 1862, Gettysburg Sheriff Isaac Lightner and his wife moved into their
new home on the Baltimore Turnpike. Solidly built of brick, the house
combined the simple elegance of the Federal style with elements of the
Victorian age. On July 1, 1863, the Lightner home became part of
history, when Union Army Surgeon New established his Hospital
Headquarters at the nearby White Church and annexed the Sheriff's farm.
The Lightner Farmhouse served as a Field Hospital, providing shelter for
battle-weary men of the First Corps. Tall trees shaded the soldiers
camped on the grounds, water from White Run quenched their thirst, and
bread baked in the beehive oven provided food. It is now a Bed and
Breakfast |
|
(9-06)
Two Taverns |
(9-06)
Two Taverns
From the report of Brig. Gen. Thomas H. Ruger,
The Twelfth Corps arrived at the village of Two Taverns, Pa., on the
turnpike from Littlestown to Gettysburg, on July 1. The First and
Eleventh Corps having engaged the enemy beyond Gettysburg, the corps
moved forward to their support. The First Division, leaving the turnpike
and bearing to the right at a point about 2 miles from Gettysburg,
gained a position threatening the left flank of the enemy, who had
compelled the First and Eleventh Corps to retire toward Gettysburg. The
appearance of the division in this position at the time it occurred was
apparently a timely diversion in favor of our forces, as the farther
advance of the enemy ceased. About sunset, the division, in accordance
with orders, took up a position about three-quarters of a mile in rear
of the position previously occupied, and so remained during the night of
the 1st |
|
(9-06)
Two Taverns
Interpretive Marker in previous photo
|