(9-06)
Henry Spangler Farm |
|
(9-06)
Henry Spangler Farm
The farm was an important field hospital of the Twelfth Corps from July
1st until July 4th. The burials alone would indicate a major field
hospital. There were seventy-eight identified Union and five Confederate
graves found here |
(9-06)
W. H. Monfort Farm |
|
(9-06)
W. H. Monfort Farm
The brick farmhouse was completed around 1848 and the architecturally
significant PA Dutch brick-end barn was completed the following year.
Henry Monfort and his brother, Jacob, built the house and farmed the
land. A family letter written on 8 July 1863, only 5 days after the
battle of Gettysburg, documents events on the farm. As Johnson's
Division began to be evacuated from Culps Hill, the farm was converted
into a Confederate Field Hospital. Over 1,300 Confederates were brought
here, making it one of the largest Confederate Hospitals, with soldiers
occupying the house, barn and considerable space around the farm. When
the Confederates retreated from Gettysburg, 446 soldiers were left at
the farm. They remained for about 28 days before consolidation at Camp
Letterman (Hospital Hill). Forty-seven died and were buried on the
farm, but were disinterred and moved to Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond
Virginia later. The families lost considerable livestock, crops,
furniture, clothing, linens, etc. and were not compensated until the
late 1880's. The farm remained in the Monfort family until around 1921.
The word "GETTYSBREW" appeared on the front page of the Gettysburg Times
early in April of 1995. By late June the idea became resident at the
Historic Monfort Farm. It took 2 full years to restore the barn,
accomplish zoning miracles, run city water, sewer, and gas plus 3-phase
electric. GETTYSBREW opened as the areas largest brewery and was a
favorite destination for families, beer-seekers, epicures and others. A
bed and breakfast is planned and will be "The Inn at the Historic
Monfort Farm."
|