The Atlanta Campaign, a Virtual Tour

  

Atlanta Campaign Home
Civil War Album Home
  

   

   
 

Gen. George Thomas' 60,000 man Army of the Cumberland moved south from Chattanooga and, on May 4, 1864 marched into Ringgold, site of a desperate rearguard action between Federal Gen. Joseph Hooker and Confederate Gen. Patrick Cleburne six months earlier. Thomas moved into the Dogwood Valley west of Rocky Face Ridge, joining Gen. John Schofield's Army of the Ohio near Tunnel Hill. The two Federal armies deployed to face Johnston's fortifications along Rocky Face Ridge from Mill Creek Gap on the railroad south to Dug Gap, southeast of Dalton. Meanwhile McPherson moved south toward Ship's Gap and Snake Creek Gap in an attempt to capture Johnston's supply line, the Western & Atlantic Railroad, near Resaca. While Thomas and Schofield assaulted Mill Creek Gap and Dug Gap in a series of costly attacks, holding Johnston's army in place, McPherson arrived in Johnston's rear on May 9th. "I've got Joe Johnston dead!" shouted Sherman upon hearing the news. But McPherson encountered resistance at Resaca, a division of Confederate Gen. Leonidas Polk's having fortuitously arrived from Rome, Georgia, just in time to augment the garrison in the prepared fortifications there. Although he outnumbered the Resaca defenders four to one, McPherson decided to pull back to the mouth of the Snake Creek Gap, dig in, and await the arrival of the rest of Sherman's forces. Discovering that Johnston had abandoned his defenses on Rocky Face Ridge and pulled back to Resaca, Thomas and Schofield were directed to follow McPherson through Snake Creek Gap and join him for an assault on Resaca, and the entire Federal force arrived there on May 12th and 13th.

 
The following Atlanta Campaign photos are courtesy of Don Worth, unless otherwise noted
    
 

(10-02) Ringgold Depot, built in 1849, and in continuous use on the Western & Atlantic Railroad until recently. The view is to the northeast. The corner of the building nearest the camera was damaged by Hooker's artillery during the battle of Ringgold Gap in November, 1863 and was later repaired with lighter colored sandstone. The "Great Locomotive Chase" ended just north of Ringgold depot, with Andrews and his raiders capture
 
Panorama
Marker (Western & Atlantic Depot)
Engraving of Ringgold during the war

   Artillery Damage
    
 

Downtown Ringgold, facing west along US 41-GA 3. Most of Ringgold was destroyed by the armies that fought through it during the Civil War

 

Ringgold Gap, facing east at the outskirts of Ringgold (stone pillar marks the entrance to Ringgold.) The first Atlanta Campaign Pavilion is at the turnout on the right
 
Pavilion 1     Pavilion 2     Pavilion 3

     

Marker on US-41 north of Ringgold. Road was used during the Civil War
 
Courtesy of William Cook, GA

 

Ringgold Depot looking north
 
Courtesy of William Cook, GA

     

Old Federal Road cut at first railroad bridge south of Ringgold depot. The road forded the creek here
 
Courtesy of William Cook, GA

 

Spring by Old Federal Road near first bridge below Ringgold
 
Courtesy of William Cook, GA

  
Ringgold Gap, Rocky Face Ridge, Dalton Page1    Page2    Page3    Page4    Page5    Page6    Page7    Page8    Page9

Page10    Page11    Page12    Next

Top of Page

Ringgold Gap, Rocky Face Ridge and Dalton Resaca Cassville New Hope Church and Pickett's Mill Kennesaw Mountain Atlanta Jonesboro Jonesboro Resources Panoramas Atlanta Campaign Home Page CivilWarAlbum.com Home Page Atlanta Campaign Image Map