(7-05) Seven Days Battles: Gaines'
Mill
The monument to the Alabama Brigade of Brigadier General Cadmus Marcellus
Wilcox is located on the loop trail at Gaines Mill on the portion of the
trail beginning the ascent from Boatswain Creek in a small man-made
clearing. It is the only monument at the Gaines Mill section of Richmond
National Battlefield Park. The photo was taken at about 10am on a sunny
day, but the foliage was so thick that along most of the trail it was
dark. The creek area can be seen where there is light in the background |
|
(7-05)
Enlarge Seven Days Battles: Gaines'
Mill
This is the front of the monument to Brigadier General Cadmus Marcellus
Wilcox and his brigade of Alabama Confederate troops on the loop trail at
the Gaines Mill Battlefield portion of Richmond National Battlefield Park
in Virginia. The battle was fought on June 27, 1862 but the monument also
commemorates the Battle of Frazier's Farm on June 30, 1862, both battles
were part of the Gen. George B. McClellan's Peninsula Campaign . This is
the only monument on NPS land at Gaines Mill and was erected Oct 31, 1999 |
(7-05)
Enlarge Seven Days Battles: Gaines'
Mill
This is the front of the monument to Brigadier General Cadmus Marcellus
Wilcox and his brigade of Alabama Confederate troops on the loop trail at
the Gaines Mill Battlefield portion of Richmond National Battlefield Park
|
|
(7-05) Glendale National
Cemetery
Bivouac of the
Dead
This photo shows the building leased from the Veterans Administration by
the National Park Service at Glendale National Cemetery. The building is a
visitor center for Glendale and Malvern Hill Battlefields and is open
seasonally. There are three small rooms open to the public which are: an
electric map room, exhibits room , and sales area/ranger office
The Glendale National Cemetery is on 2.1 acres and has 2061 interments.
The cemetery was established on May 7, 1866 for the burial of Union dead.
Most of the graves are from Glendale, Malvern Hill, Harrison's Landing.
There are no monuments/memorials other than upright gravestones in
concentric rows. The address of the cemetery is: Glendale National
Cemetery, 8301 Willis Church Road, Richmond, VA 23231
It is interesting to note the cemetery was part of the Nelson Farm, known
as "Glendale" and is a part of the battlefield. The battle is also known
as Frayser's Farm because the Frayser family were the previous owners. The
adjacent Nelson farmhouse is privately-owned/not open to the public but
easily seen from the cemetery |