Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour
Old Court House Museum
Vicksburg, MS

Return to Vicksburg Historic Houses and Buildings
Return to Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour
 
The Old Depot Museum, Vicksburg
  
CivilWarAlbum.com Home
Links:
1. Vicksburg Old Courthouse Museum
2. Old Warren County Courthouse - Wikipedia

3. Old Court House Museum Facebook
4. Old Courthouse Museum: Explore Southern History
5. Images of Old Court House Museum
 

 
 
 
Vicksburg's Old Court House Museum Directions
1008 Cherry St.
Vicksburg, MS 39183
(601) 636-0741 Email

 
The Old Warren County Courthouse, Vicksburg Mississippi was dedicated 16 June 1858. Built by Weldon Brothers, Antrim, Ireland, using 100 trained slaves. The brick used in construction was burned on the job site and the legend has it that sugar was used in the mortar for added strength. The exterior was given a smooth cement finish. The cast iron capitals, doors and stairway was furnished by the Baker Iron Company, Cincinnati, Ohio and shipped by boat to Vicksburg. It was from the tower that forces of General U.S. Grant brought down the Confederate flag at the fall of Vicksburg 4 July 1863. The Old Court House remained unaltered from the 47 day siege, until 1907 when a stucco finish was applied to the exterior. In 1939 a new Warren County Courthouse was built and the Old Court House was vacant until 1948 when Mrs. Eva Davis founded the present Old Court House Museum. In 1952 the roof and exterior was damaged by a tornado and repairs were made. In 1966 repairs were made to roof, balcony and exterior walls. The Old Court House Museum houses one of the largest Civil War collections in America. Courtesy of the L.O.C.
 

Court House Page1     Page2     Page3     Page4     Page5     Page6     Next
 
  

(3-2011) Enlarge The Old Warren County Court House. View looking northwest from the corner of Cherry St. and Grove St.

(2-2020) Enlarge Entrance to the Court House
           
 

(2-2020) Enlarge View looking northwest from the corner of Cherry St. and Grove St.

  (2-2020) Enlarge Cupola roof between support columns
    Top of Page
 
(2-2020) Enlarge Court House clock, east side of the cupola  

(3-92) Court House clock installed in 1859 and replaced in 1953

     

(2-2020) Enlarge View of the hallway leading to the bookstore and souvenir shop at the far end

 

(3-05) Enlarge Chair used during the siege by General U.S. Grant at his Vicksburg Headquarters

     

(3-05) Enlarge Confederate uniform, bugle, sword, etc.

  (3-05) Enlarge Springfield rifle musket, swords, bayonet, etc.   

Court House Page1     Page2     Page3     Page4     Page5     Page6     Next          Top of Page

Return to Vicksburg Historic Houses and Buildings     Return to Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour