Arkansas Post National Memorial
Page2 Photos/text this page courtesy of Dale Cox, AR and Webmaster For any use of these photos contact Webmaster |
|
![]() |
![]() |
|
(March 2008)
Enlarge The original site of Fort
Hindman is now covered by water. The bastioned earthwork was subjected to
an intense naval bombardment during the Battle of Arkansas Post on January
10-11, 1863. Although the guns of the fort were eventually silenced, the
Confederate artillerymen inflicted heavy damage on the Union tinclad
"Rattler." At a key stage of the battle, Ohio infantrymen were sent
forward to storm the works, but found themselves pinned down in close
range of the fort |
(March 2008)
Enlarge These are the very faint remains of
the Confederate rifle pits that stretched from Fort Hindman on the Arkansas
River across the peninsula to Post Bayou. The crest of the breastworks can
barely be seen in the center of the photograph. When the Union army
approached, Confederate Brig. Gen. Thomas J. Churchill ordered his available
infantry and dismounted cavalry into the works. This section of the line was
held by the 17th and 18th Texas Cavalry |
|
![]() |
![]() |
|
(March 2008)
Enlarge The Confederates spaced their
available field artillery along the line of rifle pits at the beginning of
the battle. This piece is placed at roughly the point where the main Union
infantry attack struck the Confederate line during the fighting of January
11, 1863. Union troops advanced to within 100 yards of this position twice,
but were driven back by concentrated Confederate fire. This section of the
Southern line only surrendered after being directly ordered to do so by Gen.
Churchill. |
(March 2008)
Enlarge The main Union land attack moved
across this ground during the Battle of Arkansas Post. Thirteen regiments of
Union troops moved from right to left against this scene to attack a section
of Confederate rifle pits held by only four regiments of dismounted Southern
cavalry. The attack was driven back twice and the Confederates only
surrendered when directly ordered to do so. The road seen here is the park
road leading to the picnic area. It winds through the site of the land
battle at Arkansas Post |
|
![]() |
![]() |
|
(March 1997)
Arkansas Post Visitor Center |
(March 2008)
Enlarge The "Semper Fi" flag of the Travis
Rifles (also known as the Austin Rifles) can be seen today in the Visitor
Center at Arkansas Post National Memorial. This unit was Company C of the
6th Texas Infantry. The flag was captured by Corporal Ira B. Whitney of the
127th Illinois Volunteer Infantry at the Battle of Arkansas Post on January
11, 1863. The men of Company C were captured at the same time. Exchanged
later that same year, they went on to fight in Tennessee and Georgia |
|
![]() |
||
(March 2008)
Enlarge This cannonball was fired during
the Battle of Arkansas Post (January 10-11, 1863). It is now housed at the
Arkansas Post State Museum, a second museum located near the national
memorial. It weighs 102 pounds and is one of several artifacts from the
battle now on display at the state museum |
Return to Memphis-Duckport Canal Return to Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour