Fort Johnson, Charleston Harbor, SC Page2

Fort Johnson Page1     2     3     4     Next
 
Photos taken on the grounds of the South Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources, James Island

(11-2006) Ashley River from Fort Johnson
 
Richard Edling

 

(11-2006) Fort Johnson (1704-1865), James Island
 
Originally built as a moated and palisaded triangular work with three bastions and a detached water battery on Windmill Point. Rebuilt in 1759. Occupied by Patriot forces 1775-1780. Reported destroyed or in ruin in 1779. A new fort was built in 1794 just to the rear of the old work, repaired in 1799. A storm in 1800 breached the walls. It was completely rebuilt again in 1809 as a 16-gun quadrilateral brick and wood work, but was almost destroyed again by a storm in 1813. Virtually abandoned after 1820. A Martello Tower (1815) was also located here, but only ruins remain (?). Confederate troops occupied the site in December 1860, rebuilding and rearming the fort with 26 guns. Only traces of CSA earthworks and the old stone powder house (1709, rebuilt 1810) still remain. The entire site is now the home of the South Carolina Marine Resources Research Institute
 
Richard Edling photo
 
Narrative courtesy of S.C. Marine Resources Research Institute

     

Wartime interior view of Fort Johnson
 
Courtesy of Richard Edling

 

Wartime interior view of Fort Johnson
 
Courtesy of Richard Edling

     
Wartime interior view of Fort Johnson looking toward Fort Sumter
 
Courtesy of Richard Edling
  Wartime interior view of Fort Johnson
 
Courtesy of Richard Edling

Fort Johnson Page1     2     3     4     Next

Sites by State Home     Return to Site Index