(7-05)
Enlarge
Battle of Five Forks Virginia, April 1, 1865
Digging In
This interpretive sign is located near the intersection. The hastily built
CSA entrenchments are long gone, but the sign helps to give an impression
of what the entrenchments might have looked like. Since the battlefield is
owned by the National Park Service and is largely undeveloped, it is not
hard to imagine how the terrain appeared
Photo/narrative by William Bozic |
|
(7-05)
Enlarge
Battle of Five Forks Virginia, April 1, 1865
Death of Pegram Interpretive Marker
Col. William J. "Willie" Pegram came from a local family. He personally
commanded the 3 guns of his command at the intersection and had 3 more
guns to the right of Mayo (Terry's) Virginia Brigade. He was killed during
the battle near his guns
It was a tough loss for the Pegram family because William's brother,
General John Pegram, had just been killed at the Battle of Hatchers' Run.
Gen. John Pegram had been married to the lovely Miss Hettie Cary only
three weeks before his death
Photo/narrative by William Bozic |
(7-05)
Battle of Five Forks Virginia, April 1, 1865
Pegram's Gun
This photo of a cannon represents the three cannons under command of Col.
William J. Pegram of Pegram's Virginia Artillery Battalion that were
located at the intersection. Col. Pegram was quoted as saying to his
gunners "Fire Your Canister Low". The photo taken July 7, 2005 hints at
the fact the Confederates were firing from a depressed position. Union
troops of Col. Charles L. Fitzhugh's Union Second Brigade (6th NY ,9th NY
,19th NY, 17th PA & 20th PA), 1st Division, Army of the Shenandoah charged
headlong into these guns
Photo/narrative by William Bozic |
|
(7-05)
Enlarge
Battle of Five Forks Virginia, April 1, 1865
Attack on the Angle
This is a photo taken at the National Park Service Tour Stop #2 on July 7,
2005. When traveling from Petersburg on White Oak Road (Route 613) this is
the first tour stop to be encountered. There is a small parking area along
the side of the road and this interpretive marker
Troops of the Union Army of the Potomac's V Corps under General Gouverneur
K. Warren were ordered to attack this position held by 4 cannon under
Captain William McGregor and Brigadier General Matthew Ransom' North
Carolina Infantry (24th NC, 25th NC, 35th NC, 49th NC, and 56th NC)
Due to a fortuitous error and quick thinking, some of the V Corps missed
their target at the angle thereby they flanked and surrounded the
Confederate force. This Union movement lead to a disaster for the entire
Confederate force at Five Forks, hence the claim of Five Forks being the
Confederacy's Waterloo by Confederate Brigadier General Thomas Munford
Union Commander Major General Philip Sheridan had G. K. Warren removed
from command of the V Corps after this triumph. In his report Major
General Philip Sheridan also claimed to have grabbed a guidon and charged
into the "Angle"
Photo/narrative by William Bozic |
(12-2007) A
Final Stand interpretive marker. The Right flank of the Confederate line would hold off an attack from
Custer's men, allowing a retreat of broken Confederate troops
Photo/narrative by Walter Wells |
|
(12-2007) Looking North from 'Final Stand'
interpretive marker. Confederates would
engage Union infantry which had broken through the rear of center of
Confederate defenses
Photo/narrative by Walter Wells |