The Cathedral-Basilica of St. Louis King of France
New Orleans, LA

Courtesy of William Bozic, Houston, TX

Return to New Orleans Page1

(7-2011) Enlarge The Cathedral-Basilica of St. Louis King of France

The permanent church was completed here in 1727, but this church was destroyed by fire in 1788. With the generous support of Don Andres Almonester y Roxas, the Spanish church was completed in 1794. The present church was built and enlarged over the Spanish foundations and completed in 1851.

The information above is taken from a brochure at the Cathedral-Basilica, on July 16, 2011.

This was a place of worship for Roman Catholic Confederates and Roman Catholic Union soldiers during their periods of occupation

(7-2011) Enlarge Flags in the Cathedral-Basilica of St. Louis King of France

From the brochure the papal flag, the coat of arms of the diocese of the metropolitan province of New Orleans and USA flag
 

     
 

(7-2011) Enlarge Altar of the Roman Catholic Cathedral-Basilica St. Louis King of France

 

(7-2011) Enlarge Inside the Cathedral-Basilica of St. Louis King of France flags of the nations which ruled are displayed. Notice the Confederate First National Flag and the War Between The States-Era Louisiana Independence Flag

     
 

(7-2011) Enlarge Painting in Center of Ceiling

The four evangelists and ten apostles (minus Peter and Judas) are depicted in the large painting in the center.

Information above provided by the on-site brochure

 

(7-2011) Enlarge  Cathedral and Jackson Square from Washington Artillery Park

Return to New Orleans Page1