The "burying ground" was first used by emigrants traveling on the Butterfield Stage road who camped at a spring, which was later called "Harkins' Spring," just north of the Middle Boggy River (today known as the Muddy Boggy).

During the Civil War, Confederate forces kept an outpost camp at the spring to guard the route to Boggy Depot, which lay some 15 miles to the southwest. In the winter of 1862, Colonel C.L. Dawson's 19th Arkansas Infantry was assigned to help in the building of an earthen works at Fort McCulloch.

Enroute from Ft. Smith, AR, to Fort McCulloch measles swept through the regiment & some of the men were forced to stop at the Confederate camp at Middle Boggy. It was here that many of those men died. They were buried in the small cemetery on the north side of the Middle Boggy River. Crude sandstone markers inscribed with the soldier's name, date of death, & the letters "C.S.A.," were placed on the graves.

Local legend says that in 1872, when the MK&T railroad laid new tracks through the area, they crossed a portion of the old cemetery, destroying several of the Confederate graves.

In 1988, through research at the National Archives, members of the Atoka County Historical Society identified several of the soldiers buried there & new headstones were placed along side the old. Research continues in the effort to identify all of the soldiers who are buried here. It is the only designated Confederate Cemetery in the state of Oklahoma.

                                      Return to Main Page

Photos of the cemetery and nearby structures